Our body is made up of millions of tiny blood cells that keep the body healthy by fighting against infections and repairing our body. Every day, every second the body is producing new cells and destroying the old ones. But, when certain abnormal blood cells start developing and hindering the production and functioning of healthy blood cells, there are possibilities of blood cancer. Blood cancer starts in the bone marrow that is the main source for blood production and if not treated on time may turn out to be fatal.
Doctors specializing in blood-related issues including blood cancer are called hematologists. For anyone looking for a renowned hematologist in Pune, Satara or other neighbouring regions, Onco Life Cancer Centre is the perfect destination that ensures the best treatment by the best doctors. Our team comprises of qualified doctors who have a sound background, having worked as a cancer specialist in Pune and Mumbai hospitals. Over the years they have successfully handled plenty of cases and given a new lease of life to several patients.
Types of Blood Cancers
Blood cancers have been broadly divided into the following major categories:
- Leukemia: This blood cancer occurs when there is rampant growth of abnormal white blood cells in the bone marrow. These abnormal cells impede the bone marrow’s ability to produce red blood cells and platelets.
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: This type of cancer develops in the lymphatic system which is responsible for producing immunity cells. The cancer is caused by an overgrowth of lymphocytes, the type of white cells that help the body fight infections.
- Hodgkin lymphoma: This cancer develops in the lymphatic system which is a network of glands and tissues spread across the body. In this case, B-Lymphocytes, a type of white cells start growing and getting collected in lymphatic systems like glands or nodes. It disturbs the healthy lymphocyte cells that have infection-fighting properties thus, making your body vulnerable to infections.
- Myeloma or Multiple Myeloma: This is a kind of blood cancer that arises from plasma cells, a type of white cells developing in the bone marrow. These cancerous cells produce abnormal proteins that cause complications.
Treatment for cancer depends on multiple factors like type and stage of cancer, age, pace at which it is progressing and more. Some of the most common treatments for blood cancer are:
- Stem Cell Transplantation: In this case, healthy stem cells capable of generating fresh cells are infused into the body. These cells can be extracted from the bone marrow, circulating blood or umbilical cord blood.
- Chemotherapy: It is one of the main treatments for blood cancer that uses anti-cancer drugs to kill the cancerous cells. The drugs that are swallowed or injected through the veins travel through the bloodstream and destroy the cancer-causing cells. It is often used in combination with other therapies, for instance, sometimes it is recommended before stem cell transplantation.
- Radiation: It uses high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells that have accumulated in brain, spleen or spinal fluid. This is also used to relieve pain or discomfort in the areas affected by leukemia.
Despite the advancements in cancer treatments and its effectiveness, early diagnosis and prompt medical attention are most critical for the recovery.
There are some really good cancer hospitals like Onco Life Cancer Centre that are working towards creating success stories against cancer. Their services and the team of experts stand at par with the best hospitals offering cancer treatment in Pune, Mumbai and other Western regions. Their excellent services and effective treatments earned them the coveted award, “Best Super Specialty Cancer Hospital in Maharashtra- 2019“, conferred by India Achievers Award & presented by Actress & United Nations Goodwill Ambassador Dia Mirza.